Saturday, July 9, 2011

Washington D.C. Mission Trip

Sweet Family and Friends!

I am so sorry I have not updated y'all much lately! Things in Virginia have gotten a little crazy! School is out and now summer is in full swing! I absolutely LOVE it! God is so good and makes that more and more evident each day I get to spend with Him! I am so excited to get to share with you a few of the things I have gotten to experience while I was with PSM in D.C. and share what God has been teaching me through it!

We worked with CSM in D.C. and we stayed in Anicostia. It is an Urban community with majority of the people being African American. In the mornings, we would work in our service groups and work with various organization. While in the afternoon, we ran a VBS/Sports World camp. The camp was nothing like anything I have ever seen before! They were not our typical kids that want to learn about God and respect their counselors, but they were kids that absolutely broke my heart at how lost and hurting they were! However, God is good and through His grace we got to see changes in a few kids hearts! One kid for example, physically had to be removed from hitting another and was given an opportunity to hear some solid TRUTH spoken to him and by the end of the week left with a "Yes, Sir". Isn't God Amazing?

One of my favorite experiences was working at Charlie's Place, which was where we got to serve breakfast and hand out cloths to homeless and jobless people. What was so great was not the actual service we provided but the conversations we go to have! I got to speak with a precious man from Egypt, who has a masters in journalism but still does not have a job or home. It was just heart breaking! Another man I got to speak with was out of jail for having possession of a gun at the wrong time. Before that, he had had a good job, a house, and family who loved and supported him, but none of that was there when he got out. "We are all one bad decision from being where I am now," he told me. These men made me so thankful for what God had given me, but also made me realize how much I hold on to things so tightly. We are called to think of things above only (Col 3:2).

Over all this was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had! I can't wait to see how this changes my life, not just temporarily but long term. So ask me! Don't be afraid to keep me accountable, it would be one of the best things you could do for me! God is Good! And this week I got to experience what it is like to live out being not only a hearer but a doer of God's work (James 1:22).

Prayer Requests:
-Summer Escape is a camping trip to Pennsylvania, we leave Monday and come back Thursday, pray for safety and opportunities to grow closer with Students and God!
-Sports World is the week after we get back from Summer Escape, pray for energy, gentleness, and chances for the Gospel to be proclaimed not only by words but by actions!
-Japan Mission trip leaves the week after Sports World (no, I'm not going on this trip) they will be working there for a few weeks, pray for safe travel and a boldness to proclaim the Gospel!

Thank you so much for your prayers!

Love Y'all!
~Court

1 comment:

  1. So glad the week in DC is sticking with you! It was such a blessing to serve along side of you and the rest of PCC last week!

    ReplyDelete